Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sturgis, South Dakota



As I was thanking the Lord this morning for His many blessings and great goodness to us, I caught the sweet scent of the pine trees that surround our new landing place. The hills here, are so beautiful, it makes it difficult to remember there's a whole country with sights much more breathtaking than this to be explored.



We're currently in a very secluded part of a campground in Sturgis, South Dakota. There's only one other human couple here, but we share the space with a herd of deer, a flock of turkeys and a mountain lion who occasionally makes his way through here. So far we've only seen the turkeys and Trev saw some deer this morning, but I'm not so sure I want to see the mountain lion. Although I think it'd be a cool sight, I think it might make me a little nervous about sitting outside after dark. For now I choose to follow Trevor's motto: “If I don't see it, it doesn't exist”. I choose to use that motto for the rattlesnakes as well.





We visited the usual spots on the way out here, a car museum, the Badlands, and Wall Drug. It rained the whole time, occasionally stopping just long enough so I could snap some photos, but then the downpours would begin again. Yesterday is what I call “My so excellent day!” The sun was shining, but the high only reached about 71. And no humidity! Yes!!!









We plan to try our hand at fly fishing on Spearfish Creek this weekend. The guides say the creek holds brown, rainbow, and brook trout....mmmm. You know I'm not a fan of fish, but there's just something about trout. I'll let you know if we catch anything. In the meantime, I hope these pictures of the new place can speak for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment